Saturday, March 11, 2006

Mathematical Philosophy

So...I was thinking as I was talking to Whiskey the other day, there must be some place where mathematics, philosophy, and theology intersect. I feel that someone with the right type of brain could some fascinating work with the nature of infinity. Now my own abilities here are limited, but their have some moments whereI've been able to use math in a philsophical context, i.e. one infinity = any number of infinities. This is useful in establishing the worth of the individual, and in getting out of those ethical scrapes that involve killing one to save another, or many others. But i know there must be thousands of ways math applies to God andHis nature. For those of you with math-oriented brains, have you ever had a Eureka moment, when you saw some truth in math and some truth in philosophy overlap or support each other. Let me know...

4 Comments:

Blogger lord_sebastian_flyte said...

Math is philosophy, isn't it? At least fundamentally, when it's kept within sight of the things its numbers represent. The further it gets into abstraction, the more difficult it is to realize that it has to do with anything at all.

11:34 AM

 
Blogger M' Lady's Topsail said...

The closest I can get right now to sythesizing Math and Theological Principles would be to say that they both are rather mysteries to me, though of different orders.

11:18 AM

 
Blogger Sephora said...

You might want to check this out, a recent thesis submitted by my sister's brother-in-law: http://equivocalcatharsis.com/articles/Calculus&theMindofGod.pdf

I have not yet read it, but it's on my immediate list; like you, I suspect a strong connection between the beauty of mathematics and what man can know about God.

8:48 AM

 
Blogger Sephora said...

Sorry! I guess I don't know how to put in links. See if this one works: http://equivocalcatharsis.com/show.php?w=1409

8:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home